Shantikunj was founded by the Saint-Scholar-Philosopher par excellence, Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya, who in his youth was also a freedom fighter. Shantikunj has emerged over the years as a unique center and fountain-head of a global movement of Yug Nirman Yojna (Movement for the Reconstruction of the Era) for moral-spiritual regeneration in the light of hoary Indian heritage. It is the head-quarter of Yug Nirman Yojna of the All World Gayatri Pariwar, which has a following of more than twenty million devoted disciples and seventy million persons all over the world.
Through the Seer-Vision of the Yug-Rishi (Saint of the Era), the founder, organizer and patron (who was born on 20th September 1911 in the village Anwalkhera, Agra, (U.P.) INDIA), Shantikunj has grown into a unique fountain-head of moral, ethical and spiritual awakening of the masses in India carrying the seer-vision of Acharyashri with the massage of love, peace, understanding and unity-in-diversity to all corners of the globe. The gist of Gurudev, Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya's message is the lighting up of human consciousness to a higher and nobler realm of light, Love and life instincts with divine harmony and joy. Vandaniyaa (Revered) Mata Bhagvati Devi Sharma (wife of Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya and worshipped as the emanation of Mother Durga by the All World Gayatri Pariwar) has been the foremost collaborator and disciple of Gurudev. She contributed the most in giving concrete shape to the ideals and dreams of her soul-mate. The smooth working of this vast organization is based on voluntary contribution of fifty paisa, one handful of grain and one hour daily for Mission work by millions of its devotees.
Shantikunj is devoted to cultural, ethical, moral and spiritual awakening and national integration. Development of divinity in mankind is the foremost goal and avowed objective. Pledged for national peace, prosperity, amity, love, goodwill and fraternity irrespective of region, religion, faith, caste, creed, sect etc., Shantikunj is a unique abode true to its name. Visitors of all faiths & linkages are glued to the Ashram (Spiritual Center), when they visit and view its peace & fraternal treatment. The courteous ovation and pleasing treatment add glory to the solemn attraction and the visitor wishes to come here again.
Expansion of national unity, amity and brotherhood and extinction of ignorance, jealousy, hatred, and strife from globe are being attempted by popularizing Gayatri Mantra, Yagna and Sanskars (sacramental rites), the adoption of which invokes celestial thoughts and inspires for divine deeds. The divinity may be seen firmly fixed in every activity of this holy pilgrimage center.
Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya
- A "manmaking" university based on the tenets of Indian Culture as envisaged by Pujya Gurudev Pt Shriram Sharma Acharya , the founder of Shantikunj, Haridwar.
- Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar is situated on the bank of Holy River Ganges and in the lap of sacred Himalayan region in Haripur Kalan, village on border of Haridwar, District Dehradun.
- It is 7 km from Haridwar railway station on way to Dehradun-Rishikesh on Delhi Niti Pass Highway. It has a sprawling campus of 82 Acres Area.
- Established by the Act of Uttaranchal Government 04, 2002 (no. 123/vidhai and sansadiya karya/2002), Dehradun on 11th April 2002.
- Duly recognized by the University Grant Commission (U.G.C).
- Sri Vedmata Gayatri Trust, a charitable spiritual body, head quarter being Shantikunj Haridwar (Uttaranchal) is taking care of all the expenses of this university.
- Self- financed through people's contribution and not by any grant from the State or the Central Government or UGC.
- It is fully residential with provision for accommodation for about 1000 students.
- The unique concept of Time donation "Samaydan" is behind the functioning of this university. It may be from 3 months to 1 year or more on voluntary basis.
- Only subsistence allowance is accepted by the employees to meet their daily needs and livelihood. However, the university provides free boarding & lodging electricity/water and free medical & educational facilities for children.
- The teachers and professors of various universities in India and abroad offer their expertise, guidance and wisdom to the students.
- The university has revived the Vedic ceremony of Gyan Diksha (Invocation) for the new students for the first time in India.
Brahmvarchas Research Institute
Modern man could not be persuaded to accept the values of life propagated by ancient Rishis until and unless these were proved to be scientifically viable for the welfare of the individual and the society.
This was indeed a Herculean task, given the trends of intellectual and scientific evolution over past millennium and almost simultaneous deterioration of religion and culture, which had resulted in a near total neglect of spirituality in the human life and the emergence of blind faiths, misconceptions, and prejudices.
The Brahmvarchas Research Institute, the research centre of Shantikunj, Haridwar founded by Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharyaji in 1979 near Shantikunj stands as a living example of how these ideas could be implemented and researched in the modern laboratories.
This center is dedicated to the integration of the modern and ancient sciences in a practical way motivated by the noble goal of health and happiness for all. Innovative scientific research aimed at grass root applications is being carried out here in the ancient sciences in an enliven collaboration with the relevant modern sciences.
Akhand Jyoti Sansthan
Akhand Jyoti Sansthan is located in Mathura, India. This is the place where Gurudev lived for about three decades, and completed most of his Mahapurascharans (reciting 2.4 million Gayatri Mantras per year), participated in India's peaceful freedom struggle, and launched the Yug Nirman Mission's principal magazine "Akhand Jyoti" - the source of spreading the divine light of his thoughts. It is now the main center for the publication of "Akhand Jyoti", which along with its translated versions has over one million subscribers.
Gayatri Tapobhumi, located in Mathura, India was established by Gurudev, Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya in 1950 at the conclusion of his 24 Gayatri Mahapurascharans, where each Mahapurascharan involves recitation of 2.4 million Gayatri Mantras per year. The ever- flourishing seed of All World Gayatri Pariwar was shown here. This is a center for Yug Nirman Mission's self-reliant education program and publication. The Movement for the Reconstruction of the Era (Yug Nirman Yojna) was announced from this spiritually charged place itself.
Anwalkheda village is the birthplace of Gurudev, Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya. It is about 12 miles from Agra, India on Jalesar road. Gurudev built an Inter College for girls and a hospital in this village. It is now being developed by the All World Gayatri Pariwar as a model village under its Movement for the Creation of Ideal Villages (Adarsh Gram Teerth Yojana). Apart from being a place for pilgrimage for the devotees, this center is spreading the Yug Nirman Mission's rural development and social engineering projects.